Monday, January 2, 2023

3. Critical reception, posters











Critical reactions to Hornet's Nest were negative or, at best, lukewarm.  



There's a capsule review that my sister and I found in a magazine at the Silliman University library -- Parents I think it was. I no longer have the notebook in which we wrote it down, but if memory serves, it went like this: "World War II derring-do about a US Army captain who, with the help of a band of scruffy Italian orphans and a sexy German lady doctor, blow up a Nazi-controlled dam against incredible odds. Essentially inane." 

Or am I mixing up two reviews here? Whatever. The only thing I remember for sure from the Parents review are the last two words. That critic, that woman Judith Ripp -- she broke my 11-year-old heart. If that was what the movie was, then my love for Tekko (and Silvio... and Carlo...and...and...) was essentially inane too. And then I thought, What the hell. That's her opinion. It's not mine!! And thus, the first stirrings of rebellion against adult morality and conventional good taste. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

https://hornetsnest1970.blogspot.com/2022/12/blog-post.html

10. Action boys and English boys

  THE THREE young actors Daniel Keller, Daniel Dempsey and Joseph Cassuto -- plus a fourth, the slender boy in a white shirt – form a gro...